19 February 2008

Listen





Here's something from Anthony de Mello's book "The Song of the Bird", the title is "Did you hear that bird sing?". The author was a Jesuit priest.






Did you hear that bird sing?


The disciple was always complaining
to his master, "You are hiding
the final secret of Zen from me." And
he would not accept the master's denials.

One day they were walking in the hills
when they heard a bird sing.

"Did you hear that bird sing?" said
the master.

"Yes," said the disciple.

"Well now you know that I have hidden
nothing from you."

"Yes."


- Life has become really noisy and complicated that I sometimes find it silly listening to the song of the birds. I remember the time when I still wonder about the things around me, the things I see, feel, and hear, the time when I still had that certain awe we could always see in kids. Now, everything is different.


Why do I always forget to listen to the song of the birds? Sometimes I am deaf to what I'm supposed to listen to. Listening has become selective, I only choose what's useful for me and never absorb other things which I believe is useless or even senseless.











No comments: